When you think you've out smarted someone..... :D

• 233 posts
    January 24, 2024 4:18 PM PST

Short true story...the other day I drove into the bank atm lane to do some quick banking.  When I pulled up, there was a tech working on the atm machine so I decided to back up and go into the other lane and just do my banking manually. Apparently, I pulled into a lane that wasn't green lighted (open) and when I pulled up the teller told me she couldn't help me and to go to another open lane.  I'm like, what's the difference (I didn't say that to her, of course) so I decided I'd go to the other bank location that was still on my way home.  The atm machine was also closed and I pulled into an open lane (yes, saw the green light).  In modern day banking, now there isn't a teller you can see in the glass window, all of the lanes are fixed with a monitor and a real person greets you. 

Well.....the person that greeted me was the same person that greeted me at the other bank, lol.  I really didn't like her attitude, but karma or something happened and I got her again anyway.  That's funny! 🤣

This post was edited by Web Diva at January 24, 2024 4:39 PM PST
    • 133 posts
    January 25, 2024 10:54 PM PST

So are the tellers not actually present at the bank, are they at some remote location and speak by video link?

Banking seems different in UK to California, in UK cheques very seldom used, cannot recall last time I used a cheque.  Deposits or withdrawals can usually  be made at any bank (Not just the bank name you do business with), our Post Office also deals with many transactions too for different banks.

Geffers

• 233 posts
    January 26, 2024 7:36 AM PST

I was never too sure about the tellers being at a remote location until the other day.  When I saw that the same teller's face pop up again in the screen at the other bank location I went too, I was stunned and laughing inside all at once, while realizing that they were for sure at remote locations. 😀

Interesting you can make deposits and withdrawals at any bank.  We can go to any ATM for a withdrawal with a debit card. 

Checks are rare for me too, however, it does come up on occasion that I'll need to write a check which sometimes surprises me.

Our Post Offices do random extra stuff too.  I try to avoid our Post Office because they are always so busy and I much prefer going to the private mail centers, even though it may be a little bit more expensive.  The experience is worth it though rather then standing in long lines at the local Post Office.