Mobile Phones and Screencasting

• 133 posts
    January 17, 2024 2:48 AM PST

Having recently bought a new smart phone I must admit to being rather surprised at being unable to easily mirror the screen to a TV running Roku or Firestick.

My motorola has an option to 'cast' or direct connect, cast no devices found, direct connect connects then nothing appears.

This is not my main gripe, my annoyance is every screencast app I tried wanted me to create an account, maybe I missed some but with mobiles being such a must have item nowadays I would have thought screencast to TV would have been virtually a built in feature.

I do tend to get irritated at having to create a username and password for everything.

Geffers

• 233 posts
    March 1, 2024 7:42 PM PST

I get your point about creating name and password for everything and then some require 2FA.  My password document list is pages long.

• 133 posts
    March 2, 2024 1:42 AM PST

Some of my less important accounts share a similar or same password but others maybe more complicated.

I think I may have mentioned before, I keep separate text files with login details, the individual files are named as per the service, ie Google, nerdzone. techsrealm etc.

All these are kept within an encrypted folder and I use a free open source program called veracrypt

https://www.veracrypt.fr/en/Downloads.html

It is cross platform so has Windows, Mac and Linux versions and the encrypted file can be used on all versions.

Geffers

• 233 posts
    March 2, 2024 7:12 AM PST

Thank you for the reminder and detailed information.  I've stickied your thread for the detail you have shared on how you have protected your passwords and use verycrypt. 

I'm looking at your link to explore and take in what I'll need to do for set up.