Mobile Apps becoming Compulsory

• 133 posts
    December 4, 2023 10:19 AM PST

There is no getting away from mobile apps nowadays, apps for your fridge, apps for your cooker, apps to park your car, apps for your health.  The mobile phone is becoming compulsory and no doubt you'll have to replace phone every so often as apps require certain version of phone Operating System.

My latest encounter, I have some space on the Oracle Cloud service.  I run a small web server there (mainly for experimental and practice reasons).

Today I logged in to the web interface and was compelled to agree to 2FA, either a hardware USB device or an APP.  More bloat on my phone.  Not only 2FA but the password has to be 12 characters long, include mixture of capitals and lower case, magic characters etc and mustn't include certain names, on top of that one cannot view the password.

Do all these companies honestly think we all memorise these numbers?

Password managers, not sure I trust the online ones, then the local ones are probably awkward to use on various devices.

I actually keep an encrypted list of passwords as a plain text file, non important sites may have easier repetitive passwords and financial sites the more complicated ones.

Appreciate any comments about password manages if anyone uses them

Geffers

This post was edited by Geffers G at December 4, 2023 10:20 AM PST
    • 233 posts
    December 5, 2023 5:00 PM PST
    Geffers G said:

There is no getting away from mobile apps nowadays, apps for your fridge, apps for your cooker, apps to park your car, apps for your health.  The mobile phone is becoming compulsory and no doubt you'll have to replace phone every so often as apps require certain version of phone Operating System.

My latest encounter, I have some space on the Oracle Cloud service.  I run a small web server there (mainly for experimental and practice reasons).

Today I logged in to the web interface and was compelled to agree to 2FA, either a hardware USB device or an APP.  More bloat on my phone.  Not only 2FA but the password has to be 12 characters long, include mixture of capitals and lower case, magic characters etc and mustn't include certain names, on top of that one cannot view the password.

Do all these companies honestly think we all memorise these numbers?

Password managers, not sure I trust the online ones, then the local ones are probably awkward to use on various devices.

I actually keep an encrypted list of passwords as a plain text file, non important sites may have easier repetitive passwords and financial sites the more complicated ones.

Appreciate any comments about password manages if anyone uses them

Geffers

In Bill Clinton's voice, "I feel your pain".....so many passwords to keep up with, they all have to be different and worse, like you said, you're required often times to create a password with a bucket list of different characters and a certain amount of each.  Adding to that 2FA, just takes that much longer to get into the website, however, on my really, really important websites, like domain hosts, banking, etc., I'm good with 2FA.

For me, I keep a complete list of passwords on an excel document that's protected and locked.  I also have a trail of password lists at my desk, that I have to compare to my document before I toss them to make sure my official list is up to date.  My husband has two password documents, one is actually created as a honeypot, so if someone tries to get to it, he's alerted...this of course is a set up at the office.

I've never considered password managers as I'm kind of freaked in giving that information, same with bank account and mortgage protections companies, like Lifelock.  I'm just not sure about that, like at what level does someone have access to my data?

I like how you have your passwords encrypted in a plain text file.  Passwords are confounding to keep up with.  I'm totally overwhelmed with them too.  Thank you for creating a good topic.  I'm looking forward to hearing more opinions.

• 133 posts
    December 6, 2023 2:13 AM PST

An open source program called veracrypt is available for windows, mac and Linux.

With it you create a file of any size you choose, it is encrypted with a password.  The resulting file is unreadable and can be safely carried on a USB key or left in the cloud.

To decrypt veracrypt is run on any computer, password entered then the file gets mounted as a drive.

Old video, 16 minutes but well explained.

Veracrypt video

Geffers

• 233 posts
    December 6, 2023 7:54 AM PST

Interesting, based on what you said, it would seem you are in complete control of this process and veracrypt doesn't get your data, they just encrypt it?

I'll take a look at your video, which likely answers newbie questions like mine...lol

Thank you!

• 133 posts
    December 6, 2023 11:16 AM PST
    Web Diva said:

Interesting, based on what you said, it would seem you are in complete control of this process and veracrypt doesn't get your data, they just encrypt it?

I'll take a look at your video, which likely answers newbie questions like mine...lol

Thank you!

Think you'll find it relatively straight forward, like all encryption programs though, lose the password and you are in trouble.

Geffers

• 233 posts
    December 6, 2023 4:26 PM PST
    Geffers G said:
    Web Diva said:

Thank you!

Think you'll find it relatively straight forward, like all encryption programs though, lose the password and you are in trouble.

Geffers

I went to log into my Mac laptop today and for the life of me, I couldn't remember the password.  ðŸ¥´ I hadn't used my Mac in awhile, apparently. Thank goodness I had it on that password sheet.  So, to losing your passwords, serious big trouble, you're so right!💯

• 233 posts
    December 11, 2023 8:02 PM PST

I had some time to watch your veracrypt video.  If I was to do use this method of encryption to transfer files to a USB to get them to another device, I'd use this video.  Screen shots are so valuable and for me, this was a bit of a complicated process but I believe if I followed this video, I would be able to duplicate the encryption and reverse encryption process.

Great to know and excellent video, thank you!