Mobile Phone Screen Resolution

• 187 posts
    November 29, 2023 12:50 PM PST

I am looking at a new phone, the only downside is the screen res is less than my current 6 year old phone, the one I am considering is 1600x720 on a 6.6" display.

Twin sim, 5G, 128GB memory and can take an SD card for memory expansion, camera apparently does FULL HD and it makes phone calls.

A fair bit cheaper than one I was looking at which has 2400x1080 screen res but no expandable memory.

Will screen res be an issue on a mobile phone?  We seem obsessed by big numbers with technology nowadays.

Geffers

• 284 posts
    December 3, 2023 10:45 AM PST

Good questions.   I have a large screen, Samsung Galaxy Note Ultra 20.  For me, I need a large screen because I'm far-sided and screen resolution maybe a minimal trade-off for a larger screen if I was choosing a new phone.  

• 187 posts
    December 3, 2023 12:33 PM PST
    Web Diva said:

Good questions.   I have a large screen, Samsung Galaxy Note Ultra 20.  For me, I need a large screen because I'm far-sided and screen resolution maybe a minimal trade-off for a larger screen if I was choosing a new phone.  

Ive found one now slightly more expensive but with higher screen resolution so may go for that.  I prefer using a proper computer so certainly don't do much browsing on phone and certainly not banking.  Tends to be Whatsapp, directions on map and of course phone.

Geffers

• 284 posts
    December 5, 2023 7:55 AM PST
    Geffers G said:
    Ive found one now slightly more expensive but with higher screen resolution so may go for that.  I prefer using a proper computer so certainly don't do much browsing on phone and certainly not banking.  Tends to be Whatsapp, directions on map and of course phone.

Geffers

Same for me.  I much prefer using a computer over the mobile phone.  I'll search on my cell phone and read but I've found posting difficult on most websites including my own.  Making short comments is okay, but hard to post in forums and groups.

Did you ever decide on your next phone?

• 187 posts
    December 5, 2023 9:57 AM PST
    Web Diva said:

Same for me.  I much prefer using a computer over the mobile phone.  I'll search on my cell phone and read but I've found posting difficult on most websites including my own.  Making short comments is okay, but hard to post in forums and groups.

I think so, my old one is working fine, just was very unreliable with mobile signal in US earlier this year.

Back in 2019 same phone, same location it was very reliable, this year connections were awful.  I think US has upgraded to 5G and my phone is not 5G plus phone doesn't do wifi calling so that is a downside too.

I'm due to visit CA again next week for Christmas and New Year so probably need to get replacement soon so that I can set it up.

Leave it all to last minute, that is me.

Geffers

• 284 posts
    December 5, 2023 4:27 PM PST
    Geffers G said:
    Web Diva said:

I think so, my old one is working fine, just was very unreliable with mobile signal in US earlier this year.

Back in 2019 same phone, same location it was very reliable, this year connections were awful.  I think US has upgraded to 5G and my phone is not 5G plus phone doesn't do wifi calling so that is a downside too.

I'm due to visit CA again next week for Christmas and New Year so probably need to get replacement soon so that I can set it up.

Leave it all to last minute, that is me.

Geffers

Glad to hear you found a possible good choice for your new phone.  I can see where 5G could be a problem.  That hadn't occurred to me until you mentioned that, as my mom has had issues with her phone and now that she has a new one it's working much better.

Happy travels to CA for Christmas and the New Year.  Sounds like a great way to bring in the New Year in Cali with nice weather and good friends!

• 187 posts
    December 6, 2023 2:18 AM PST

Re 5G roll out, came across this video 10 minute video highlighting problems now experienced by users of older phones.

5G roll out affecting users of older phones

Geffers

• 284 posts
    December 6, 2023 7:51 AM PST

Great, thank you!  I have your video open to view today!

• 187 posts
    December 6, 2023 11:18 AM PST
    Web Diva said:

Great, thank you!  I have your video open to view today!

I did the link wrong, it doesn't actually look like a link, no blue highlight.  I tried to edit but couldn't figure it out.  If you can edit it properly please do so.

Geffers

• 284 posts
    December 7, 2023 7:21 AM PST

No prob, I'll take a look at it