The Man Who Invented Fifteen Hundred Necktie Knots

• 233 posts
    November 22, 2023 7:54 PM PST

For fun.  Can you imagine creating fifteen hundred neck tie knots?

https://www.newyorker.com/culture/annals-of-inquiry/the-man-who-invented-fifteen-hundred-necktie-knots?utm_source=pocket-newtab-en-us

Boris Mocka believes that, at one point, he had invented more necktie knots than anyone else on the planet—so many that he started to call himself a “tieknotologist.” Most people who wear ties are familiar with the four-in-hand knot, and perhaps the Windsor and the half-Windsor. But there are many others: the Plattsburgh, the Cavendish, the Hanover. In 1999, two physicists published a book titled “The 85 Ways to Tie a Tie.” Their tally, however, was far from comprehensive. Mocka alone has created more than fifteen hundred knots. The Gardenia looks like a flower; the Wicker and the Mockatonic look like origami. The Riddler looks like a question mark, and the Exousia requires more than one tie. “I’m very obsessed with being original,” Mocka told me.

• 133 posts
    November 23, 2023 2:45 PM PST

I've always been fascinated with knots but hopeless at tying them.

As for ties, I think it is a variation of a Windsor knot that I use, nowadays I seldom wear a tie but sometimes make an effort when I am flying.

Geffers

• 233 posts
    November 23, 2023 8:11 PM PST
    Geffers G said: I've always been fascinated with knots but hopeless at tying them. As for ties, I think it is a variation of a Windsor knot that I use, nowadays I seldom wear a tie but sometimes make an effort when I am flying. Geffers I don't even know how to tie a necktie, however I can do a nice square not The Windsor knot sounds like it's origin was from the UK When you watch older TV series, everyone is always in ties and suits, like Hawaii Five-0. That was a nice time. Now it's jeans, yoga pants or utility shorts. I'm glad some us of still fine value in dressing nice for occasions.
    • 133 posts
    November 24, 2023 2:04 AM PST

I remember my Nan and Garndad used to dress up for a day out on the train.  Times have certainly changed.

• 233 posts
    November 24, 2023 8:02 AM PST
    Geffers G said: I remember my Nan and Garndad used to dress up for a day out on the train. Times have certainly changed. That's a nice memory.