Firesticks to get their own OS

• 187 posts
    November 16, 2023 10:59 AM PST

Amazon firesticks are very popular and in my opinion, more flexible than Roku devices.  They currently run on the popular Android OS.

Apparently Amazon are in the process of ditching Android and bringing out their own OS which may prevent users from sideloading apps not available from Amazon's app store.  This would bring it in line with Roku.

Personally I have liked firesticks to date, I only have one sideloaded program, KODI.  This app to me make the Firestick great to use, if I were unable to use it the firestick would become just a mediocre streaming device.

Interested in other people's opinions.

https://youtu.be/R6bB4UPuzwk?si=-0YdbOM_jk73D4N6

Geffers

• 284 posts
    November 17, 2023 8:14 PM PST

Geffers G said: Amazon firesticks are very popular and in my opinion, more flexible than Roku devices. They currently run on the popular Android OS. Apparently Amazon are in the process of ditching Android and bringing out their own OS which may prevent users from sideloading apps not available from Amazon's app store. This would bring it in line with Roku. Personally I have liked firesticks to date, I only have one sideloaded program, KODI. This app to me make the Firestick great to use, if I were unable to use it the firestick would become just a mediocre streaming device. Interested in other people's opinions. https://youtu.be/R6bB4UPuzwk?si=-0YdbOM_jk73D4N6 Geffers This is new information for me as I've never used any Amazon products, though I've heard of them. Interesting for Amazon to bring out their own OS, closing the gap for their products to only work with their complete system. I'll watch your video and get up to speed and reply having a little bit more knowledge on this topic. As always, thank you, Geffers for your rockin tech info!!

This post was edited by Web Diva at November 18, 2023 8:22 AM PST
    • 187 posts
    November 18, 2023 2:23 AM PST

Web Diva said:This is new information for me as I've never used any Amazon products, though I've heard of them. Interesting for Amazon to bring out their own OS, closing the gap for their products to only work with their complete system. I'll watch your video and get up to speed and reply having a little bit more knowledge on this topic. As always, thank you, Geffers for your rockin tech info!!

Amazon's new OS is not really completely their own effort, theirs along with Google's Android system are both based on Linux which is free and open source. Anyone is free to copy Linux code, tweak it and use for their own purpose, most of the world's IoT devices run on Linux as do most routers. What companies like Google and Amazon do is copy the code, tweak it for their own purposes then close source it so that no-one can check the code, this is against the spirit of Linux as, being free and open source the code can be checked by anyone so any bugs etc will be addressed quickly, even viruses would be noticed quickly, that is why Linux is not such a target for virus creators.

Apparently main reason Amazon are going to the trouble of creating a new OS (I think it will still be based on Linux) is because Android was developed for mobile phones so much of the code is irrelevant for a streaming device and Amazon firesticks do sometimes run short of memory.

Geffers

This post was edited by Web Diva at November 18, 2023 8:22 AM PST
    • 284 posts
    November 18, 2023 8:29 AM PST

@Geffers, I went to edit my spelling error from gut to get (get up to speed) and clicked on your post by mistake.  Well, gut is now get, sorry

• 284 posts
    November 18, 2023 8:39 AM PST

Geffers G said: Web Diva said:This is new information for me as I've never used any Amazon products, though I've heard of them. Interesting for Amazon to bring out their own OS, closing the gap for their products to only work with their complete system. I'll watch your video and get up to speed and reply having a little bit more knowledge on this topic. As always, thank you, Geffers for your rockin tech info!! Amazon's new OS is not really completely their own effort, theirs along with Google's Android system are both based on Linux which is free and open source. Anyone is free to copy Linux code, tweak it and use for their own purpose, most of the world's IoT devices run on Linux as do most routers. What companies like Google and Amazon do is copy the code, tweak it for their own purposes then close source it so that no-one can check the code, this is against the spirit of Linux as, being free and open source the code can be checked by anyone so any bugs etc will be addressed quickly, even viruses would be noticed quickly, that is why Linux is not such a target for virus creators. Apparently main reason Amazon are going to the trouble of creating a new OS (I think it will still be based on Linux) is because Android was developed for mobile phones so much of the code is irrelevant for a streaming device and Amazon firesticks do sometimes run short of memory. Geffers I didn't know that about Linux code. There was so much detail in your post, I read it three times to process it. It makes sense that Linux doesn't have to worry much about virusus, but how generous and how do they thrive if they offer the code free and open source? I often have wondered if code was just copied over and over throughout the years. Whenever I am making a purchase online, the same drop down menu issue of where my state is has remained the same for many years and I've always wondered if that was copied code for the check out page, because every one's checkout works the same on that drop down menu for states. Rarely, have I been able to click on my state out right without the extra click. I know that all sounds weird without seeing a screen capture. Makes sense on what Amazon is doing to create a new OS for streaming devices. Amazon must have a power house of IT and web development departments.

This post was edited by Web Diva at November 18, 2023 8:43 AM PST
    • 187 posts
    November 18, 2023 1:45 PM PST

Web Diva said:I didn't know that about Linux code. There was so much detail in your post, I read it three times to process it. It makes sense that Linux doesn't have to worry much about virusus, but how generous and how do they thrive if they offer the code free and open source? Icapture.

Linux is entirely run by volunteers, all across the World. Some commercial organisations charge for support so one is not paying for the actual operating system.

Geffers

This post was edited by Geffers G at November 18, 2023 1:54 PM PST
    • 284 posts
    November 18, 2023 2:28 PM PST
    Geffers G said:

Linux is entirely run by volunteers, all across the World. Some commercial organisations charge for support so one is not paying for the actual operating system.

Geffers

Oh wow, that's amazing. What an incredible organizational design.
    • 15 posts
    November 20, 2023 8:50 PM PST
    Web Diva said: Geffers G said: Web Diva said:This is new information for me as I've never used any Amazon products, though I've heard of them. Interesting for Amazon to bring out their own OS, closing the gap for their products to only work with their complete system. I'll watch your video and get up to speed and reply having a little bit more knowledge on this topic. As always, thank you, Geffers for your rockin tech info!! Amazon's new OS is not really completely their own effort, theirs along with Google's Android system are both based on Linux which is free and open source. Anyone is free to copy Linux code, tweak it and use for their own purpose, most of the world's IoT devices run on Linux as do most routers. What companies like Google and Amazon do is copy the code, tweak it for their own purposes then close source it so that no-one can check the code, this is against the spirit of Linux as, being free and open source the code can be checked by anyone so any bugs etc will be addressed quickly, even viruses would be noticed quickly, that is why Linux is not such a target for virus creators. Apparently main reason Amazon are going to the trouble of creating a new OS (I think it will still be based on Linux) is because Android was developed for mobile phones so much of the code is irrelevant for a streaming device and Amazon firesticks do sometimes run short of memory. Geffers I didn't know that about Linux code. There was so much detail in your post, I read it three times to process it. It makes sense that Linux doesn't have to worry much about virusus, but how generous and how do they thrive if they offer the code free and open source? I often have wondered if code was just copied over and over throughout the years. Whenever I am making a purchase online, the same drop down menu issue of where my state is has remained the same for many years and I've always wondered if that was copied code for the check out page, because every one's checkout works the same on that drop down menu for states. Rarely, have I been able to click on my state out right without the extra click. I know that all sounds weird without seeing a screen capture. Makes sense on what Amazon is doing to create a new OS for streaming devices. Amazon must have a power house of IT and web development departments. I've actually heard of Linux, and have some basic understanding of what it is. However I was unaware that sometimes big name companies have actually used it as a template for their own code. How interesting!
    • 187 posts
    November 21, 2023 12:51 AM PST

We take much for granted in today's World, how it all works I sometimes find amazing.

Geffers

• 284 posts
    December 4, 2023 9:44 AM PST
    Geffers G said:

We take much for granted in today's World, how it all works I sometimes find amazing.

Geffers

Pretty amazing and our world needs to continue to encourage young men and women to be interested in the professional trades (thinking broadly here) as the world will not work without them to keep it going.

• 15 posts
    December 5, 2023 12:08 PM PST
    Geffers G said:

Geffers

Very true! It really is incredible when you think about it.