YouTube's Storage

• 133 posts
    October 21, 2023 11:57 PM PDT

It is estimated that around 500 hours of video is uploaded to YouTube per minute, how on earth do they obtain the storage for this?  

Obviously some staff member doesn't nip down to Best Buy and purchase a hard drive every so often so how do they store it?  After all, the cloud is just someone else's storage at a different location.  Few people delete uploaded videos so guess it just grows and grows.

Mind boggling.

Geffers

• 233 posts
    October 25, 2023 7:38 AM PDT

It is "mind boggling"....hard to even believe 500 hours of video is uploaded per minute! I had to look back at your post just now, because I was thinking, per hour, but no...per minute, like wow! I'd like to see a picture of what that kind of storage looks like on an industrial level as used in YouTube. I'm not sure most people understand the true meaning of "the cloud" which, like you said is just storage on a hard drive/server somewhere. Cleaver marketing to use the word "cloud" isn't it? I suppose if few people delete their videos, the challenge for YouTube and other companies with "cloud storage" is to maintain that evolving capacity of storage for users which would explain some of their subscription expense which hadn't occurred to me until just now.

This post was edited by Web Diva at October 25, 2023 7:38 AM PDT
    • 133 posts
    October 25, 2023 11:03 AM PDT

Just to confirm the 500 hours per minute, which is mind boggling, here is a site that shows some stats.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/259477/hours-of-video-uploaded-to-youtube-every-minute/

Geffers

• 233 posts
    October 25, 2023 11:14 AM PDT

Oh, wow!!  Just looked at your link and statistics. Unbelievable. 

Everyone wants to be a YouTuber.  I would like people to find pride in the trades, become a scientist, do great things in their own world that contributes to humanity. Without these key vocations filled with experienced people, the world can't run well and there is such a shortage of people going into specialty jobs.

• 133 posts
    October 29, 2023 2:36 AM PDT

There are many that post videos for pleasure and some that earn income using it.

I post random stuff on my channel, country walks, trains, scenes, small airports, travel clips  and some computer upgrades I did.  Not brilliant, seen a lot better but also seen a lot worse.

Some are very professional and a pleasure to watch.

This short one has had over 2 million views, is very amateur but funny.

https://youtu.be/M-NTZOE0A90?si=F2ugHDM9DQXSZ1M3

Geffers

• 233 posts
    October 29, 2023 7:43 AM PDT

OMG, loved your video.  Very clever and when we lose power this winter, which I'm positive we will during an ice or snow storm, I'm going to be ready for that little heating trick. Worth the watch for the salt of the earth video experience and clever thinking. Thank you!

Oh, I didn't mean any disrespect towards the wonderful videos available by YouTube hobbyist or the people that strive towards offering quality content that is very valuable.  My dh and I watch many YouTube videos over our weekends with content that varies from financial, travel, old comedy shorts from series to comedian's and news.  No takeaway from there, and I can say how helpful a lot of them are, when you are in a pinch in tech, such as when I'm working on graphic art and I get stuck on the use of a tool in Coreldraw.  I have watched many short videos to get me out of a bind for tech when I'm stuck.

If you want to share your YouTube channel on Tech's, you are more then welcome and happy to support and follow.

What I was referring too, are the youth that do not seem to have ambition any more than becoming a Youtuber rather than planning for Plan A and Plan B. If Plan A is to become a YouTuber, then what is your Plan B if Plan A doesn't yield the income you need? That's more of what I was thinking about, while also thinking about the many occupations that are not being sustained by up and coming quality technicians for the future.

I agree, a lot of great content to watch and we probably spend a few hours each weekend watching informative or entertaining videos.

• 133 posts
    October 30, 2023 5:28 AM PDT

Web Diva said: Oh, I didn't mean any disrespect towards the wonderful videos available by YouTube hobbyist or the people that strive towards offering quality content that is very valuable. If you want to share your YouTube channel on Tech's, you are more then welcome and happy to support and follow. What I was referring too, are the youth that do not seem to have ambition any more than becoming a Youtuber rather than planning for Plan A and Plan B. I agree, a lot of great content to watch and we probably spend a few hours each weekend watching informative or entertaining videos.

I didn't think for one minute your post was disrespectful to youtube creators. Agree re your description of youths of today, they say the kids of today are great with computers, all some (not even many) know is how to use them, they seldom know how to fix things when they go wrong. If plan A goes wrong it is Government's fault, or society. Computer club that myself and Retro attend is mainly older guys, the chairman is now 40 but was a teenager when he joined. When our club first started quite a few teens and some members' children attended but now everything seems to be done online, very little personal interaction. It is almost impossible to speak to a human representative of may companies, click here, click there, endless circle. Happy to share youtube channel but honestly not much of interest, my favourite is approaching San Diego airport, that is great, plus I have an impressive take off from London City airport showing our River Thames and the Thames flood barrier. Geffers

This post was edited by Geffers G at November 1, 2023 3:23 AM PDT
    • 233 posts
    October 30, 2023 9:04 PM PDT

Geffers G said: I didn't think for one minute your post was disrespectful to youtube creators. Agree re your description of youths of today, they say the kids of today are great with computers, all some (not even many) know is how to use them, they seldom know how to fix things when they go wrong. If plan A goes wrong it is Government's fault, or society. Computer club that myself and Retro attend is mainly older guys, the chairman is now 40 but was a teenager when he joined. When our club first started quite a few teens and some members' children attended but now everything seems to be done online, very little personal interaction. It is almost impossible to speak to a human representative of may companies, click here, click there, endless circle. Happy to share youtube channel but honestly not much of interest, my favourite is approaching San Diego airport, that is great, plus I have an impressive take off from London City airport showing our River Thames and the Thames flood barrier. Geffers

Great analogy and so true.

It's disappointing to see kids today, with so little interest in diving deeper into the mechanisms of a machine, computer, or purposely taking a toaster apart to see how it works? I do also get what you are saying if there is a failure in the beginning with something that's physically broken, the blame always is projected elsewhere rather than towards the core issue and to some extent, I can see where "they" find fault in the government or society. Taking ownership and having principles is less observed, less common and seems to be an old way now.

Nice that you and Retro have been in a computer club. Sometimes, those are the most meaningful social events when you get together with your friends with common hobbies, business related stuff, passions and interests.

I'd enjoy your youtube. I haven't traveled much and seeing the San Diego airport would actually be interesting and your take off from London sounds totally cool to see your amazing city.

This post was edited by Web Diva at October 30, 2023 9:07 PM PDT
    • 15 posts
    November 7, 2023 12:34 PM PST

Wow, so interesting to think about, I hadn't personally pondered how YouTube stores all it's data, but when pointed out, it's a fascinating question. When one thinks about it, it must be an astronomical amount of data to store. 

• 133 posts
    November 7, 2023 1:18 PM PST
    Lady X said:

Wow, so interesting to think about, I hadn't personally pondered how YouTube stores all it's data, but when pointed out, it's a fascinating question. When one thinks about it, it must be an astronomical amount of data to store.

I understand many servers (not just youtube) are operated within the arctic circle so that cooling is natural rather than having to use electricity to cool. I still find the storage difficult to comprehend.

Geffers
    • 15 posts
    November 7, 2023 9:00 PM PST
    Geffers G said:
    Lady X said:

I understand many servers (not just youtube) are operated within the arctic circle so that cooling is natural rather than having to use electricity to cool. I still find the storage difficult to comprehend.

Geffers

Oh wow! I had no idea companies did that with servers, but that makes soooo much sense. Very smart on their part.