Geoff Lane aka geffers

• 126 posts
    September 29, 2023 12:13 PM PDT

New member to techrealm

Recommended by nerdzone.uk

Find all types of IT fascinating, used to manage a web page many years back but apart from a private page used for file sharing not currently in to managing web pages.  Main system is Linux, various distros, long time Ubuntu user but currently Linux MX which is a debian version.  Also run an Arch distro.

Raspberry Pi - have many models, two regularly used for aircraft scanning, one runs a VPN so that I can securely login when away from home, another serves my TV across ethernet so no need for extension antennas.

Current legislation in EU and UK relating to internet worrying as the days of privacy seem numbered, however, maybe smaller platforms like techrealm and nerdzone may be the way forward as the userbase is smaller.  Back to the days of BBS maybe, all back then was new and so exciting, now, not so much new as what we have just gets better - or maybe not.

Geffers

This post was edited by Geffers G at September 29, 2023 12:13 PM PDT
    • 228 posts
    September 29, 2023 3:55 PM PDT

Welcome Geffers!  We are so glad you are here and special thanks to Nerdzone for your referral to Tech's.  Like you, we feel like the only way to move forward in this internet world is to create niche communities where members gather to have classic organic conversations. Small communities like Tech's and NZ have that niche vibe that most crave if you've been posting on message boards for years.  I love forums, the uniqueness and quality of conversations.

Thank you for sharing a bit about you. You have a lot of IT experience with an interesting background.

The US is also trying to kick out legislation that may change our internet experience, as well.  Like you, I watch for news almost daily and follow court cases for the their final rulings.  I do agree, smaller platforms are not as susceptible to the legislation by both the EU and US, however, my radar is always up and watching.

Welcome again and looking forward to many conversations!

• 15 posts
    November 20, 2023 9:06 PM PST

Welcome Geffers! So glad to have you here! That's really cool you use and are so proficient in Linux. I like how you decided to use your Raspberry Pi's, that seems like a very efficient way to have so many operating systems

• 126 posts
    November 21, 2023 12:40 AM PST

Lady X said: Welcome Geffers! So glad to have you here! That's really cool you use and are so proficient in Linux. I like how you decided to use your Raspberry Pi's, that seems like a very efficient way to have so many operating systems

Unbeknown to many Linux powers numerous items we take for granted, various web servers throughout the World are powered by Linux, most routers have a Linux OS, Android phones are Linux, various switches, bulbs etc that we now switch on using voice or apps are Linux driven. It is a totally free system that anyone can use.

There are some companies that charge, but they are charging for the support, not the OS. Being open source means anyone can look at the code which results in bug fixes and security issues getting addressed quickly.

A complete desktop system can be run from a USB key so people can try it without altering their installed system. Given me an idea to do a YouTube video on an installation for people to try.

Geffers

This post was edited by Geffers G at November 21, 2023 12:48 AM PST