Member Permissions

• 233 posts
    May 4, 2023 8:27 PM PDT

@Ford8 has shared some valid thoughts on some short comings in the Social Engine system.  I've taken the time to test the issues again, to see if there was a work around in the forum plugin.  There isn't a work around until SE makes the changes needed. 

For now, as it's important for members to have control over their posts and threads, I have enabled and allowed permissions for members to edit, rename forum topics and posts.  SE should have these settings allowed for all members to edit their posts and topics.

Threads tested:

Tested to see what permissions are enabled for members to edit their posts in the forum.

https://techsrealm.com/forums/topic/27/testing-news-and-announcements

Tested to make sure this forum allows posting under the Tech Guru Member level.

https://techsrealm.com/forums/topic/26/testing-fb-and-suggestions-under-tech-guru-member-level.

As for comments, I share your frustration on not being able to edit your comments.  That is an issue for all members.  Some of the comments can be edited from your profile page as opposed to the activity feed.  It's kind of weird, but I just checked after recalling that.  It's not consistent and it does depend on the original origin of your comments. I'd have to spend a little more time and take notes on the exception.  There isn't a work around for this except to add the Professional Activity and Nested Comments Plugin.  I have used this plugin before at Friends Realm and disabled it because it had some issues.  I will consult with my magic guru friend @PengieTech on this and see if it's worth adding this plugin or if there are any other solutions.

Thank you Ford8 for your suggestions and feel free to start your own threads as you see anything that could use improvement or an issue.  I started this thread here to document your concerns and make sure we can take care of them for you too.

• 233 posts
    November 19, 2023 8:42 PM PST

Are you interested in the subject heading to be hyperlinked?

• 133 posts
    November 20, 2023 6:55 AM PST

Problems with software issues and sites like techsrealm is that to change a complete software system is overwhelming so one tends to tweak the current system and make the best of it.

That is the real world, there are things about Facebook I don't like (Most of it actually), twitter and youtube but one gets used to its issues and then it is acceptable.

So far, being new to techsrealm I have found the issues I have encountered are my mistakes through being unfamiliar.  So, so far no major issues.

The hyperlink in Subject: heading is useful for going to the thread quickly, otherwise not a major issue.  I highlighted it as some messages had Subject: hyperlinked and one of mine didn't.  That may have been my mistake, not sure.

Geffers

• 233 posts
    November 20, 2023 9:24 AM PST

Very true and open minded about software and their quirky or pesky little issues. Some parts can be improved and updated, but sometimes developers set off something else when doing that, at least my experience too.

Same on FB and Twitter and youtube. 

So glad to hear you are figuring everything out okay and enjoying Tech's Realm. Thank you for all of your threads and posts too! You have a lot of knowledge and it's always interesting to learn something new everyday.

• 133 posts
    November 20, 2023 10:29 AM PST

Not so sure about the knowledge, computing is so diverse now that many have expertise in different areas, you obviously know more about running web sites than I do.  Some have hardware knowledge, others software knowledge, that is what makes computing so fascinating.

It never ceases to amaze me when I am speaking via whatsapp to my friend in California I will send her a photo and I hear it 'ping' immediately.  All this data whizzing along cables, under oceans then appearing on someone else's screen, incredible.  We take it for granted but isn't it incredible? 

Geffers

• 233 posts
    November 20, 2023 1:14 PM PST

Computing is very diverse, agree...so many different professional areas, some really, really proprietary or specialized. You do have a lot of knowledge and already have opened up for me new tech to consider that I wouldn't have known about. 

I loved posting on a website from the very first time in 2007.  By 2008, I wanted my own and started my first website by 2009 which was devoted to my daughter's favorite pastime, which was Webkinz.  It was so much fun with lots of moms and their kids.  I still have several friendships from that website to this day.

Your amazement with whatsapp, is like ours with Life360.  Our whole family is set up on it.  It is fascinating to actually see the instant ping, message or photo you are sending through whatsapp and knowing the distance in cables is mind boggling.  Life360 is extremely accurate and has helped us all at times.

This post was edited by Web Diva at November 20, 2023 1:41 PM PST