End to End Encryption finished

• 187 posts
    June 19, 2024 3:04 PM PDT

Bob Braxman is a security expert, he does sell security products but in this video he is not selling anything, he is merely pointing out the technology is in place to eradicate the benefits of end to end encryption.  This makes the privacy of WhatsApp, Telegram and even Signal now suspect.

Although Linux is currently exempt from the Government requirements to be able to overcome encryption (No-one owns Linux so not covered by legislation to comply) who knows what the future holds.  

Fascinating video, 20 minutes duration.

https://youtu.be/c52pKpYeZ74?si=NY-erPImokvaXm25

Geffers

• 284 posts
    June 21, 2024 3:44 PM PDT

I've read some warnings against using WhatsApp for security reasons.  I've never used Telegram or Signal.  We always like to think we are safe because of encryption.  Going to watch your video, thank you!

• 187 posts
    June 22, 2024 12:05 AM PDT

WhatsApp is owned by Facebook so there is a warning sign straight away.  Telegram I used to use but is quite complicated, Signal is supposedly the best for security but with recent UK legislation to protect children online (Smokescreen in my opinion) and EU and US having similar in the pipeline seems there is a requirement for companies to be able to bypass encryption if required to do so by law enforcement authorities.  The weak point for encryption is the screen of the computer or phone, that is how they are getting round the encryption, recording activity before it is encrypted.

The screen recording is not widespread yet but the technology is there,  the video is quite fascinating and scary really.

The old saying that if you are not doing anything wrong there is nothing to worry about maybe seemed reasonable at some point but who'd have thought a few years back that misgendering someone might be a crime.

Geffers

• 284 posts
    June 22, 2024 7:59 AM PDT

I just watched your video by Bob Braxman and I have two pages of notes, good grief. I did catch the part where E2E encryption is only safe with a linux to linux communication.

I was very disappointed to hear what Windows has done with Windows 11, where screen shots and keylogging is an enabled standard event and the MPU analyzes everything.😱

I'll go through my notes and make some bullet points of the highlights of this video.  I was glued to it, while trying to refrain from being seriously annoyed at the amount of privacy we don't have.

• 187 posts
    June 22, 2024 9:40 AM PDT

The frightening thing is; Government force companies to comply, the companies will say the data prior to encryption will be safely stored, not  viewed by anyone and only viewable via a Government warrant or court subpoena, do we believe them?  This also makes https a worry now, appreciate the screen only shows passwords as asterisks but key presses may also be an issue.  Each press of a key merely sends an ASCII code to the computer which then prints it on the screen.

Maybe we will return to pen and paper, who knows.

• 284 posts
    June 22, 2024 3:44 PM PDT

I didn't know that about governments requiring companies to save the data prior to encryption.  I don't believe the data is safe either as there's too much going on with government surveillance now and they are more than happy to collect data.

I'm thinking about Edward Snowden, when you talk about key presses and passwords, recalling the scene in the movie about him when he covered himself with a blanket when he logged in to his computer.

Pen and paper sounds like it's in our future, agreed.  Maybe a good idea to improve my penmanship because I hardly write anymore as I'm always on the keyboard.

This post was edited by Web Diva at June 22, 2024 3:44 PM PDT
    • 187 posts
    June 22, 2024 11:55 PM PDT

May watch the Snowdon movie again, I don't recall the 'blanket' scene.   Julian Assange in a similar position, exposes Government spying and subsequently has had his life ruined.

As I get older I trust Government less and less.

• 284 posts
    June 23, 2024 8:15 AM PDT

The scene is when Snowden is in an interview with Greenwald in the hotel, and Snowden goes to login to his pc and covers himself with a blanket so no one can monitor his login. It was a good movie, worth watching again for us too.

Didn't Julian Assange recently have a "win" to not be extradited to the US immediately for espionage?  Just looked that up, so yes, in the UK, there was a recent ruling.

https://www.wired.com/story/julian-assange-extradite-court-decision-wikileaks/

On government spying, I'm still not over the video I watched yesterday, that you shared on E2E encryption.😲

Another movie we recently watched was The Big Short.  Perhaps you've seen it, but if not, you might like it.  The Big Short is not necessarily on this same subject, but defiantly exposes all of the unbelievable bank transactions that were done to manipulate the 2008 financial crises....a different kind of "tech" with data and massive manipulation of the market.  We enjoyed it and plan to watch this movie again.  We were gobsmacked at how much manipulation of the market was human specific created to cause this financial tragedy  all over the world.

This post was edited by Web Diva at June 25, 2024 11:59 AM PDT
    • 187 posts
    June 25, 2024 12:08 AM PDT

Thanks for recommendation of The Big Short.  I think the term 'Short' is where investors sell something they don't own at a high price hoping it drops in value then they buy back at the lower price.  Pretty sure Soros played that game back in the 90s when UK was in the EU monetary Union (pre Euro), interest rates soared, our Government said we had to stay in the monetary Union at all costs otherwise it would be a disaster.  So high many lost businesses and homes, UK were forced to leave the Monetary Union at which point everything calmed down, interest rates dropped and UK then embarked on a period of growth, the exact opposite of what the Government warned.  The good thing that resulted of course is UK did not adopt the Euro, we kept our Pound.

Assange, I know there was a successful challenge but got the impression the can was merely kicked down the street, he has not been freed, he is in poor health, authorities are probably hoping he will die as that would resolve all their legal issues.  Legal remedies are being used Worldwide now to achieve political ends, obviously highlighted by what is happening in US but also happening here, recent example, some right wing group posted unsavoury comments (not illegal comments) on fly stickers pasting them on walls and lampposts.  The prosecution have somehow manipulated the law so that this non offence has become criminal damage and falls under the Terrorism Act and the offender got TWO YEARS jail.

Three minute video explains, the presenter is very intelligent and always provides links to verify his posts.

https://youtu.be/-qagsSqCw1A?si=ge4qwPFCHkn0_Ixw

Geffers

• 284 posts
    June 25, 2024 4:50 PM PDT

Sure, you're welcome.  You may really like it if you like to keep up with the financial world.  We found it very shocking how much damage this real estate/bubble/short did to so many people, in the billions.  We watched another financial video this weekend on youtube about the next big short coming that will cause banks to fail. The presenter went through a whole history of banking and CDO's (collateralized debt obligation), explaining why so many banks will fail soon.  Not saying this with any drama, just stating the point of the video, however, always good to research everything you hear.

From Geffers:

I think the term 'Short' is where investors sell something they don't own at a high price hoping it drops in value then they buy back at the lower price

Yes, and in 2007 and 2008, real estate was shorted by the billions with junk CDO's and there was a master mined guy behind it that started the house of cards to fail.

From Geffers:

Pretty sure Soros played that game back in the 90s when UK was in the EU monetary Union (pre Euro), interest rates soared, our Government said we had to stay in the monetary Union at all costs otherwise it would be a disaster.  So high many lost businesses and homes, UK were forced to leave the Monetary Union at which point everything calmed down, interest rates dropped and UK then embarked on a period of growth, the exact opposite of what the Government warned.  The good thing that resulted of course is UK did not adopt the Euro, we kept our Pound.

Nothing surprises me what Soros would do and has done in the past.  I'm sorry to hear the UK had to go through all of that.  I'm glad you still have the pound.  That belongs to the UK to me as a foreigner's way of thinking as I look at an amazing country.

From Geffers:

Assange, I know there was a successful challenge but got the impression the can was merely kicked down the street, he has not been freed, he is in poor health, authorities are probably hoping he will die as that would resolve all their legal issues.  Legal remedies are being used Worldwide now to achieve political ends, obviously highlighted by what is happening in US but also happening here, recent example, some right wing group posted unsavoury comments (not illegal comments) on fly stickers pasting them on walls and lampposts.  The prosecution have somehow manipulated the law so that this non offence has become criminal damage and falls under the Terrorism Act and the offender got TWO YEARS jail.

Yes, we've been seeing that too.  So many offenses now becoming felonies, doesn't make sense except to set an example.  Hard to believe an offense like that would be considered Terrorism, but then there's a lot of that going on here too. Rick Perry, that used to be Texas governor for twelve years made a comment in one of the debates when he was running for president, he said, "I want to make government less relative in your life".  I would really like that more than ever.