Is 5G all it is cracked up to be?

• 216 posts
    June 18, 2024 12:30 PM PDT

I have recently tried live streaming using mobile data, quite disappointing, quality poor.  My mobile supplier says 5G signal good everywhere outdoors, well, not where I tried my live streaming.  The video looks as though the background is melting.

Now oddly, I found it good when in California earlier this year but in UK so far disappointing.

Guess if one doesn't try live video streaming then all appears to be OK apart from the occasional dropped call.

Interesting video throws some light on 5G

https://youtu.be/SRz6Kc_aqEg?si=SRC9VXyTWstS1Mup

Geffers

This post was edited by Geffers G at June 18, 2024 12:33 PM PDT
    • 305 posts
    June 21, 2024 5:13 PM PDT

I'm not sure I can tell the difference between 4G and 5G?  Would it work to see if you could tell the difference between 4G and 5G by comparing video's you've done before 5G and now to see if there's better quality? 

Thanks for the video to watch!

• 216 posts
    June 21, 2024 11:51 PM PDT

On my previous MotoG phone I had a setting whereby I could choose to use 4G or 3G (No 5G at that point),  my current MotoG phone doesn't appear to have an option, there is a screen icon that alters from 5G to some other indicator but so small hardly visible, pretty sure that is automatic.

• 305 posts
    June 22, 2024 9:13 AM PDT

Phones still have mystery settings to me....I'm not sure if I've seen a setting to even change a 4G to 5G on any of my droid's, but interesting that you didn't see much difference after all.

Is 5G even necessary?