Personal VPN - convenient usage

• 187 posts
    June 17, 2024 12:52 PM PDT

I may have mentioned this before somewhere but I run a personal VPN server on a Raspberry Pi within my home network.  This enables me to connect from anywhere and it encrypts the connection to my home network and all traffic is as though I am actually at home.  Obviously there is no cost to me as is normally associated with VPN subscriptions, of course my set up always gives impression I am at home whereas popular paid for VPNs can connect with servers in many other countries enabling bypassing location restrictions.

However, one advantage the personal set up allows is encrypted access to one's home network, no worry about security as encrypted to the Pi, also no need to open ports as when connected to personal VPN you are allocated an IP address that connects to home network.

Interesting facility I set up, on my home network I have an apache web server with saved video and music files, if I connect to my personal VPN on my mobile phone, wherever I am I am effectively connected to my home network, now in my car I can use Bluetooth to connect my phone to my car's radio/media player.  I can then use a playlist on my phone which plays the contents of my playlist through my car's sound system.  Of course this will use mobile data but so does Spotify or other similar systems.

Technology is amazing and quite fascinating.

If you are interested in looking in to setting up such a device here is the web link.

https://www.pivpn.io/

Geffers

This post was edited by Geffers G at June 18, 2024 1:03 PM PDT
    • 187 posts
    June 18, 2024 1:02 PM PDT

Meant to insert the web link for installing the PiVPN - will edit original and insert there too.

https://www.pivpn.io/

Geffers

• 284 posts
    June 21, 2024 4:06 PM PDT

Omg, very intriguing set up.  I really like that if you are not home, and you connect, it appears if you are home.

Thank you for the link.  This is not my wheelhouse, but I do find it fascinating how you have set up your network.