Mobile Phone Reliance

• 187 posts
    May 28, 2024 7:16 AM PDT

Many things nowadays depend on a mobile app.  Without a mobile everyday tasks can become an issue.

Newer phones seem to be allowing for this by way of larger memory, the norm nowadays seems to be 256GB whereas a few short years back it was 8GB or 16GB 

Herein lays the problem, today I switched my spare phone on, not old, about 4/5 years old, been working fine, it now will not boot.  Ten years ago this would have been a nuisance, not a major inconvenience.  Now however, people have digital pay for credit cards, banking apps, apps to pay for parking fees.  Who gets an insurance certificate now, it is all PDF and kept on phone.  Boarding passes for air travel.

If your phone fails now it is not a nuisance, it can be a catastrophe, so what is the safeguard now?  Two phones?  I don't know the answer really.

In the old days if a shop till broke down out came a notebook and pencil, business carried on, nowadays an IT failure means no business takes place.

Maybe the old filofax was the best idea.

Geffers

• 284 posts
    May 30, 2024 4:11 PM PDT

Good point.  I have my share of old phones lurking around in a kitchen drawer.  You're right, years ago, people would just do the math to finish the sale if the till was messed up and move on.  Today, it's impossible.  Even when I was in high school working a retail job at a department store, that till had to be reconciled after closing before it was turned in at the credit office.  If your till was off, you had to keep working on it because everything had to match up.  This was still a time where cash was used a lot too.

• 187 posts
    May 31, 2024 12:40 AM PDT

Me too, I worked in a betting office here in UK, big cash turnover,like your experience, all had to be reconciled.

Geffers

• 284 posts
    May 31, 2024 7:52 AM PDT

A betting office would be big cash, wow!!

• 187 posts
    June 7, 2024 12:07 AM PDT
    Web Diva said:

Back in the day when I earned just £25 weekly often daily turnover could be £1000.  Great atmosphere though, enjoyed it.

Geffers

• 284 posts
    June 7, 2024 8:25 PM PDT
    Geffers G said:
    Web Diva said:

Back in the day when I earned just £25 weekly often daily turnover could be £1000.  Great atmosphere though, enjoyed it.

Geffers

£25 per week, and worth the atmosphere, sounds like a fun job.  I'm trying to think how much I made per week in high school, not much for me either... however, the clothing discounts were awesome😃. I think I spent a lot of my pay check on the clothes in the mall where I worked.  Fun times, I wouldn't trade for anything

• 187 posts
    June 8, 2024 3:10 PM PDT

When I met my late wife back in 1969 we could go out for an Indian meal, have a curry, rice drink and £1 would cover bill and tip.  Last curry I went to with a group of friends was £40 each, that is like an 80x increase.

• 284 posts
    June 8, 2024 5:18 PM PDT

That's such a huge difference in price from 1969 to present. Wow, a £1 😱....huge increase.  Inflation now is unbelievable here in the states.  My dh and I like watching old programs, like the original Hawaii 5-0.  Occasionally, we will catch prices of the times and on one episode, they were discussing the value of gold, which during that season that episode was made was around $30 per ounce.  Now it's nearing $2400.00 per ounce.

• 187 posts
    June 9, 2024 1:07 AM PDT
    Web Diva said:

My dh and I like watching old programs, like the original Hawaii 5-0.  Occasionally, we will catch prices of the times and on one episode, they were discussing the value of gold, which during that season that episode was made was around $30 per ounce.  Now it's nearing $2400.00 per ounce.

Not sure if I mentioned before but if you like old movies  and you have a Rumble user account  then follow MovieMagic - there are lots of old classic movies available for free.  I know the Rumble app is available on Roku and Firestick, probably Google TV so watchable on full size TV screen.

Geffers

• 284 posts
    June 9, 2024 8:50 AM PDT
    Geffers G said:
    Web Diva said:

My dh and I like watching old programs, like the original Hawaii 5-0.  Occasionally, we will catch prices of the times and on one episode, they were discussing the value of gold, which during that season that episode was made was around $30 per ounce.  Now it's nearing $2400.00 per ounce.

Not sure if I mentioned before but if you like old movies  and you have a Rumble user account  then follow MovieMagic - there are lots of old classic movies available for free.  I know the Rumble app is available on Roku and Firestick, probably Google TV so watchable on full size TV screen.

Geffers

I don't have a Rumble account but I have viewed many videos on Rumble that were really funny....actually forgot about even creating an account.😀  I'll take a look at MovieMagic, thanks for the tip.  We don't have Roku, Firestick or Google TV but have also been meaning to change from our current provider we've been using for years to switch to Google TV.

• 187 posts
    June 10, 2024 12:53 AM PDT

I've been a fan of Firesticks for a few years now but amazon are developing a new operating system (they currently use android) for their devices so its user usability may be affected - if I was buying new I'd go for the Chromecast, just plugs in to HDMI socket and turns any TV (even old ones) into a super modern streaming device.

There are two versions, a 4K and a HD version, the latter being very reasonably priced.  If you generally watch older movies I'd go for the cheaper version.  I bought my daughter the 4K version for Chritmas, she is well pleased with it.

https://store.google.com/us/product/chromecast_google_tv?hl=en-US&pli=1

Geffers

• 284 posts
    June 10, 2024 4:16 PM PDT
    Geffers G said:

I've been a fan of Firesticks for a few years now but amazon are developing a new operating system (they currently use android) for their devices so its user usability may be affected - if I was buying new I'd go for the Chromecast, just plugs in to HDMI socket and turns any TV (even old ones) into a super modern streaming device.

There are two versions, a 4K and a HD version, the latter being very reasonably priced.  If you generally watch older movies I'd go for the cheaper version.  I bought my daughter the 4K version for Chritmas, she is well pleased with it.

https://store.google.com/us/product/chromecast_google_tv?hl=en-US&pli=1

Geffers

Oh, very cool to learn about Chromecast.  Love that you can just plug it in.  Makes it so simple and no one has to come to your house and hook it all up.  Love that!

• 187 posts
    June 11, 2024 2:42 AM PDT

My current Sony TV was purchased in 2008, still going fine and with my Firestick or Chromecast plugged in it is the same as an up to date TV.

Geffers

• 284 posts
    June 11, 2024 7:07 AM PDT

Wow, that's great that your Firestick and Chromcast system works with an older TV.  I have an old Vizio TV, vintage, 2005 or so, I use in my work out room.  It's still going, but the screen is getting a bit funky.  Do you think I if I tried your system in this one room, will work independently and  bypass the current service provider I use?

• 187 posts
    June 12, 2024 1:06 AM PDT

These streaming devices need to be plugged in to an HDMI socket, all modern TVs have a few of these sockets.  2005 not sure, you could either visually look and comapre to https://solislux.eu/site_files/6e2565417b9f042bf5afe17c4498d74f.jpg or, and you've probably not needed to use this at all, on your remote there will probably be some menu item that offers an INPUT option.  This may well list options like scart, composite, s-video and hopefully HDMI.

If you have an HDMI then a chromecast or firestick would certainly turn old TV into a modern streaming device, provided screen is watchable.

Geffers

• 284 posts
    June 12, 2024 6:34 PM PDT

Thanks Geffers, for the instructions.🥇  We do have the HDMI thing on this smaller TV.  I'll look into it some more.  I should be able to fiddle with it and have success, thanks to your instructions. Saves me having to call customer service somewhere for assistance....we know how that always go...lol. 🤣

• 187 posts
    June 13, 2024 3:45 PM PDT

If you go for either please do ask if you have any issues as I have both devices, once wifi set up all is quite straight forward.  Both can work off of a wired ethernet but would require an adaptor. 

Geffers

• 284 posts
    June 14, 2024 7:55 AM PDT

Sure thing, Geffers.  I think we would need that adapter.