Bridging one Forum platform to another, can it be done?

• 294 posts
    December 7, 2022 2:20 PM PST

I currently have several websites built, some launched and a few just on the cusp of being launched.  I have one website in particular that's very niche, in a very saturated  over populated category too.  In order to compete in this category, I've innovated a feature that would allow this website to compete.

The catch is, the website is currently built on Social Engine, as is Tech's Realm.  I love everything about SE and wouldn't change anything, however, I need the forum options and addon's that only xenForo and SMF have.

I've bridged Wordpress to vBulletin years ago.  I used the Wordpress as the Cover page/Welcome page and then there were tabs to click on to get to the forum. It looked great and the navigation in this instance was pretty awesome.

My question is, has anyone had experience in bridging two main platforms?  I will have SE has the master platform and I'll only use the forum feature from either xenForo or SMF.

Crazy? Possible? Options? Thoughts?

• 4 posts
    May 5, 2023 9:53 AM PDT

I don't know SE at all. Never seen the admin area of it. And just started to use it. But I am sure what you are asking about can be done with some cash to spend.

I think you can find a Xenforo to Wordpress bridge over on the Xenforo site. I don't think I have ever seen a Xenforo to SE bridge. I wouldn't do it with SMF. Unless they release an update that is something special.

Now you will have to find someone that owns SE and Xenforo and can code. Unless you can do it.

• 294 posts
    May 5, 2023 10:19 AM PDT
    fords8 said:

I don't know SE at all. Never seen the admin area of it. And just started to use it. But I am sure what you are asking about can be done with some cash to spend.

I think you can find a Xenforo to Wordpress bridge over on the Xenforo site. I don't think I have ever seen a Xenforo to SE bridge. I wouldn't do it with SMF. Unless they release an update that is something special.

Now you will have to find someone that owns SE and Xenforo and can code. Unless you can do it.

Thank you for your insights on bridging two main platforms together. the SE ACP is like most ACP. I'd say more user friendly than the vBulletin ACP. It can get a little tricky in some areas as with any ACP. You can click "yes" in one place, but it affects another and you have to remember what you did that might have crated a new unintended issue.

Good to know I can bridge Wordpress as a home page to xenForo. I'm not opposed to creating a website with xenForo as it's really top notch, particularly my favorite feature is the Rich Text Editor of xF and my second would be the gamification.

I've liked SMF too, but have wondered about their overall quality, as well.

I can't code, wish I did as I'd be customizing everything...lol. Cash to spend always helps, however, like you've mentioned SE isn't as well known as xF and vB so finding someone experienced that you trust would be a challenge for coding, I would think?