Save Mobile Battery

• 187 posts
    May 16, 2024 3:28 PM PDT

Possible battery saving option for mobile phone.

The mobile signal (not WiFi) is a main user of battery power, the weaker the mobile signal the more your phone checks the signal resulting in more battery drain.

Something I tried and works for me, most modern phones have a setting called WiFi-Calling, this enables mobile calls via the internet if the mobile signal is weak and you have a wifi connection.  This may have to be enabled so check first.

If this facility is available then select aircraft mode, this switches off mobile, wifi and bluetooth, you can then enable wifi and connect as usual.

You should now be able to make mobile calls via the wifi connection.

Reason aircraft mode allows reconnection of WiFi and Bluetooth but not mobile is because the latter is the strongest and could interfere with aircraft transmissions, apparently.

Try it and see, not sure how much battery it would save but the less you have to charge it the longer the battery will last.

Geffers

• 284 posts
    May 17, 2024 3:49 PM PDT
    Geffers G said:

Possible battery saving option for mobile phone.

The mobile signal (not WiFi) is a main user of battery power, the weaker the mobile signal the more your phone checks the signal resulting in more battery drain.

Something I tried and works for me, most modern phones have a setting called WiFi-Calling, this enables mobile calls via the internet if the mobile signal is weak and you have a wifi connection.  This may have to be enabled so check first.

If this facility is available then select aircraft mode, this switches off mobile, wifi and bluetooth, you can then enable wifi and connect as usual.

You should now be able to make mobile calls via the wifi connection.

Reason aircraft mode allows reconnection of WiFi and Bluetooth but not mobile is because the latter is the strongest and could interfere with aircraft transmissions, apparently.

Try it and see, not sure how much battery it would save but the less you have to charge it the longer the battery will last.

Geffers

Thanks Geffers!  I think I always have my phone on wifi?  Have to look...I should know that 🤔  I used to put my phone on Airplane mode at night, but stopped doing that.  Now you got me curious how much battery I'm using at different settings.

• 187 posts
    May 17, 2024 3:53 PM PDT

Did notice though text messages didn't appear to work with this setting.

Geffers

• 284 posts
    May 17, 2024 4:07 PM PDT
    Geffers G said:

Did notice though text messages didn't appear to work with this setting.

Geffers

Oh, okay, good to know....text messages are kind of important....well sometimes 🤓