Twister hits Train, survived with damage

• 133 posts
    April 30, 2024 1:48 PM PDT

Amazing 3 and half minute video from US.

Twister passes over train, causes damage but seems loco survived, unsure of damage to rest of train, maybe it was freight, not sure but it was stationary. 

https://youtu.be/0f4wA8vB9jY?si=9WJ-WmWaDs_EUB-D

Geffers

• 233 posts
    May 1, 2024 2:35 PM PDT

OMG, wow!  The train engineers were so in control while the tornado took over the train.  That was very cool to watch, however always sad to see so much damage, but glad they were okay.  I'm a weather geek.  Not that I doom scroll on weather, but I'm fascinated by the power of the weather and what exactly has to come together that makes severe weather.  Spring is our biggest tornado season, fall would be second in bad weather.  I report on extreme weather over at Friend's Realm - Weather Together Group.  The US south and Midwest has had a very active spring season of weather, most unusual. 

The US has had some really catastrophic tornadoes over the past few weeks too.  Some of the videos I've watched of the tornadoes filmed are jaw dropping, like the one you added.  My dd actually was driving home several weeks ago and a wedge tornado was to her north on the highway.  We were watching her driving progress on Life360 the whole time to make sure she was okay and safe.  It was an unexpected storm.

Thanks for sharing this video, Geffers!

• 133 posts
    May 1, 2024 9:39 PM PDT

Have you got one of those underground safety areas?  Tornadoes are those weather anomalies that might be exciting to see on the movies but terrifying to actually experience in real life.

My US girlfriend often updates me as to any major weather events in US but its quite topical at the moment to highlight any weather extremes as it adds weight to the green agenda  actions.

Geffers

• 233 posts
    May 2, 2024 3:05 PM PDT

Nice that your girlfriend updates you on weather events in the US.  Always makes for nice discussions.  I think everyone enjoys talking about the weather some, maybe a little?😃

We don't have a shelter....even though we are in tornado alley, when severe weather is driving it's way across from west to east, the severity usually dials down a bit when it passes our area and then amps up as it starts heading towards East Texas.  We still can get pretty severe weather and there are usually tornadoes not far from us.  One of these days I'll figure out what it is about our topography that causes the slight lull in storm severity before storms charge eastward. 

Right, tornadoes only have their place on the big screen (eg. Twister), but in real life are very terrifying.  I had my first experience with a tornado in Junior High, when it went over our school.  We were all huddled in the hallway, while the glass doors swung open from the wind and pressure and brought in the rain down the aisle. It was scary.  Also witnessed numerous funnel clouds through many years, one memorable day in far North Texas with a large display of funnel clouds forming, and many experiences of sustained 60mph plus winds while at home either from random severe storms or storms that are remnants from hurricanes tracking north from the gulf coast through Texas.  Sheltering from storms is commonplace, however, there was only one storm I seriously sheltered and that was about 15 years ago.  Our neighborhood was severely damaged from that storm; trees both large and small, fences, roof damage, blown glass were apparent on every street.

On the green agenda, agreed.....weather extremes are commonplace and I do get frustrated when "they" promote their green agenda, blaming the extreme weather during seasons that are not so commonplace, active and out of the ordinary.  There's a thread on NZ where I wrote about exactly how our earth works, and what sets off the weather from small ice ages to weather extreme cold and hot seasons.  I'll see if I can find that.  Basically, weather is controlled by so many different metrics, that it takes a lot of those metrics to come together, like a recipe, to cause extreme weather.  There will be calm years and there will be very active years even cyclical, by decades and centuries.

• 133 posts
    May 4, 2024 1:42 AM PDT

What an interesting description of your weather, I am no expert on weather events but can plainly see many are using winds, rain, tornadoes, wild fires etc for ulterior motives.  Problem is, it is creating many people with troubled minds, a lot of teenagers are genuinely terrified and may use means to force others to comply with their fears.

The world is volatile at the moment, too many agendas playing out, it is worrying.

Geffers

• 233 posts
    May 5, 2024 8:24 AM PDT

Yeah, there's a lot of drama when it comes to describing weather events and all of the main stream weather companies and websites report the same way because they are required too by certain "entities".  John Coleman, the original founder of the Weather Channel often cried foul about the basis in which "climate change" was created.  Here's a brief description of his history.

https://weather.com/news/news/2018-01-21-john-coleman-weather-channel-founder-dies

A Texas native, Coleman had controversial views on climate change and insisted global warming is a hoax. Coleman's disagreements with the American Meteorological Society's official stance on climate change were a reason he left the organization, despite being named AMS Broadcast Meteorologist of the Year in 1983.

I also see what it's doing to young people that can't process, see through or do their own research to really understand the complexities of the weather/climate and how it works.  Public schools here in the US won't fix that as they are also in that box of teaching/seeing the climate in a narrow window rather than looking at it's vast history over time and centuries.  So, yes, to this generation, I see it as the generation of adults that grow up without a well rounded education and we will repeat the turbulent 1960's in the US all over again (look at our Universities lately), because there are very few that can stand out above the crowd to reach these people.  The world is volatile and I agree.

On the flip side, I grew up celebrating Earth Day in my school.  I believe when you teach positive earth stewardship it leaves an impression on people.  If school districts would start teaching the basics of caring for the earth from first grade to twelfth grade with age appropriate material in the curriculum, then maybe people would have a good foundation and understanding of the earth and how it works without the fear that they are getting every day from the media.

• 133 posts
    May 5, 2024 12:09 PM PDT

100% agree