The shame of LinkedIn

• 233 posts
    March 21, 2024 10:26 AM PDT

I am on LinkedIn but I've not really posted on it except to set up my profile and follow my cousin that's an author, as well as follow some local friends.  I'm not sure what to think about this article, except that I get the challenge of people not able to be themselves as they are posting with their peers and high-up bosses.

https://www.businessinsider.com/linkedin-cringe-how-to-post-new-job-hiring-resume-2024-3?utm_source=pocket-newtab-en-us

Why does LinkedIn feel so cringe? And is it possible to post there without being cringe yourself? I decided to reach out to some experts to try to find out, which was an embarrassing endeavor on its own.

As much as LinkedIn is a professional platform, something about it feels really personal. Even when you're posting with your real name, other social-media sites like Instagram, Twitter/X, or TikTok have an air of anonymity to them, a sense of removal. A tweet is more fleeting, and Instagram is more private, even if your profile is public. On a lot of these platforms, everyone's sort of doing a bit. On LinkedIn, you wind up putting a lot of yourself out there: your picture, your work history, your education, your professional past, your aspirations. You're there for a specific reason — to advance your career and network. You have a specific audience in mind — prospective employers, potential business leads. That all requires you to be your best, most workiest self.

• 133 posts
    May 10, 2024 1:07 PM PDT

I've got little confidence in Social Media when they deplatform people for stating actual facts.  Dare one say anything against the popular narrative then one can get temporary or permanent bans.  The internet usually finds a way of overcoming obstacles, many are already changing language to overcome algorithms.  Bit like He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named and everyone knew who HE was.

This post was edited by Geffers G at May 10, 2024 1:08 PM PDT
    • 233 posts
    May 10, 2024 3:02 PM PDT
    Geffers G said:

I've got little confidence in Social Media when they deplatform people for stating actual facts.  Dare one say anything against the popular narrative then one can get temporary or permanent bans.  The internet usually finds a way of overcoming obstacles, many are already changing language to overcome algorithms.  Bit like He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named and everyone knew who HE was.

I know what you mean about social media....it's a tragedy when "they" deplatform people because of what people say as they are trying to be honest, reflective or make a good argument because it goes against the narrative or agenda currently being pushed online. 

Oh and don't get me started on algorithms and AI moderation.  I will always be old fashioned in the way believing that people should be allowed to speak what's on their mind in a healthy environment where speech and opinions are respected not censored.  Yeah, I know who HE is lol.