Verbs to avoid in the workplace

• 233 posts
    February 28, 2024 5:31 PM PST

This is a good article on how to present yourself in the workplace by using more positive verbs and avoiding using some negative verbs; see list below. I'm guilty of using all of these verbs, full disclosure. ðŸĪ“  I suppose I need to work on my verb usage. ðŸĪŠ

Verbs to avoid are: think, need, want, guess, hope and suppose. 

https://getpocket.com/explore/item/six-verbs-that-make-you-sound-weak-no-matter-your-job-title?utm_source=pocket-newtab-en-us

Your job title isn’t the only thing that determines how influential you are. Every word you use at work expresses your personal brand, from your confidence and authority to your depth of knowledge. And it’s verbs–those action words that should be the engine of a sentence–that most often trip us up.

• 34 posts
    February 29, 2024 11:04 AM PST

Good article as when we talk to people with addiction or mental health problems we try (try being the operative word here!) to never use the words;

• Should
    • Must
    • Need
    • Have

Not in the the wrong context that is eg., "Do you need a tissue?" is okay but not "You should/must/need/have to do this?". In fact trained counsellors and other health professionals get some training on this here, the idea is not to put pressure on the person who may be very vulnerable to make a decision, we can only suggest as ultimately the decision has to be theirs.

• 233 posts
    February 29, 2024 12:48 PM PST

I like how every aspect of your philosophy on addiction and mental health has been carefully considered for the best outcome and response from people needing help.  I also can see how; should, must, need and have can be barrier type words that would cause someone to "wall off" from listening.  I have a relative that uses those words all of the time and I can't tell you how off-putting it can be.  It's hard to stay focused in a conversation when you are being told what to do rather than given thoughtful suggestions.  Thoughtful suggestions to people are more receptive to someone in a vulnerable place.

• 133 posts
    March 3, 2024 12:37 AM PST
    Mark Ransome said:

Good article as when we talk to people with addiction or mental health problems we try (try being the operative word here!) to never use the words;

• Should
    • Must
    • Need
    • Have

Not in the the wrong context that is eg., "Do you need a tissue?" is okay but not "You should/must/need/have to do this?". In fact trained counsellors and other health professionals get some training on this here, the idea is not to put pressure on the person who may be very vulnerable to make a decision, we can only suggest as ultimately the decision has to be theirs.

The problem with language is if it becomes too complicated the actual meaning gets lost, legal documents, legislation or conditions of use are examples.

How many people read the various conditions of use for the numerous internet services we use?  Often the words are English but one cannot make sense of what they mean.   Just go to court and view from the public gallery a case, you have a defendant and an accuser, lawyers arguing innocence and lawyers arguing guilt and a judge deciding which 'expert lawyer' is correct on disputes of law.  Same incident, same rules, outcome being argued.

Nothing is easy, we can only try.

Geffers

• 233 posts
    March 6, 2024 4:55 PM PST

@Geffers, agreed, so many different ways to interpret professional legal-speak.....I just had to read some accounting instructions on an IRS form (Internal Revenue Service) and even though English is my first language, I could not figure out what I was supposed to do at all. 

Just an update on my struggle to eliminate these verbs, including @Mark Ransome's verb list in my usual daily discussions.....it's really hard! ðŸĪŠ It's become a complete obsession between myself and my dd.  It's actually bringing a lot of laughter too.  Should and need are my biggest struggle.ðŸĪ“

• 133 posts
    March 8, 2024 1:59 PM PST

You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time.   Or something like that  ðŸ˜Ž

Geffers

• 233 posts
    March 8, 2024 3:55 PM PST
    Geffers G said:

You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time.   Or something like that  ðŸ˜Ž

Geffers

I've heard that before..😃..it's a good reminder though and I will remember this saying when I'm at my wits end with people I can't please in my real life. 🙂